Dumfries and Galloway Standard
23 January 1850
A fair question
A Scotch girl inquired of a gentleman, in broad Scotch, the road to Tremont House. He desired her to follow him, and asked her how long it was since she arrived from Scotland. 'Sax weeks, your honour.' – 'Noo, Sir, wull ye just tell me hoo ye kenned I was frae Scotlan?'
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
24 January 1896
The electric light
According to common report the electric light was inaugurated on Wednesday 8 January. On that date a number of arc lamps were lighted, the failure to complete the installation being due to certain transformer works refusing to transmit the current. What light was given was imperfect. Since that date the light has not been switched on in the streets, and a fortnight may yet elapse before another trial is made. The only persons who seem to cling to the idea that everything is going smoothly and that all will come right in the end are the members of the Town Council and a few burgh officials. The remainder of the population, about 26,000, have other ideas on the subject.
25 January 1870
There are at present five prisoners in Kirkwall Jail – a larger number, we believe, than often occupies it during a whole year. We need hardly say the prisoners are not all
natives of Orkney.
26 January 1900
Dundee's goodbye to her soldiers
The patriotic enthusiasm of Dundee citizens rose to high-water mark yesterday when the contingent of city volunteers bound for the front were sent off. One of the heartiest and most enthusiastic demonstrations ever witnessed in the city took place, the scene all along the route, and when the train moved out of the station, being a memorable one. Between nine and 10 o'clock there was abundant evidence that the soldiers were to have a hearty send-off. An immense crowd assembled in Bell Street, and here the mill and factory workers seemed to have concentrated from every quarter of the city. The police authorities had evidently not anticipated such an early gathering, and, as a consequence, they had considerable difficulty in keeping the crowd in order.
The mill whistles had sounded, but the large majority of the operatives seemed to ignore the fact, and work had to give place to seeing the last of the Dundee warriors. The crowd waiting outside the Drill Hall for the appearance of the active servicemen was a lively one, but, at the same time, a good-humoured one. Whenever a man in uniform made his appearance on the street a cheer was raised, while those who had to run the gauntlet of the crowd were subjected to some good-natured banter, all of which was taken in good part. Excitement rose to fever pitch when the hour approached for the men’s departure, and the utmost difficulty was experienced by the police in restraining the exuberance of the crowds.
Aberdeen Press and Journal
26 January 1900
Great avalanche on Speyside
It has been discovered that a great avalanche has descended the face of the Grampian mountain named Craigmegachidh, almost opposite Kincraig Station on the Highland Railway. This gigantic hill attains an elevation of some 2,000 feet, and for about 1,500 feet from the base is almost perpendicular. At the top, or great scaur in the face, are huge precipices, and here an immense mass of snow was drifted from the summit by high winds during the late storm. The base had apparently become insecure in consequence of a strong thaw, and the great accumulation was projected over the precipices, then dashed downwards with terrific force, carrying with it trees, rocks, stones, and everything moveable. Some of the boulders a ton weight were propelled a couple of hundred yards from the base, and destroyed 40 yards of a deer fence running parallel with the hill. The carcases of two deer were found in the debris. The present is the biggest avalanche for 40 years. The last great one in the same place destroyed hundreds of pine trees.
27 February 1875
In the studio of Mr Ewing, the celebrated sculptor of Glasgow, there is, about finished, a recumbent bronze figure of the deceased James Duncan, Esq, which is stated to be a very fine specimen of high art. This figure is to be placed over the grave of the deceased in Rothesay churchyard. It will form one of the most notable monuments of Rothesay, and will give permanence to the memory of the donor of numerous gifts to his native town.